9/13/10 - 9/17/10
Days 18-22 in My Father's World 1st Grade
- Bible: We memorized Proverbs 21:23, "He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity." We looked up this verse in some different Bible translations, like the NIrV (for early readers) and the NLT. We preferred the NIV version, like My Father's World uses. Davin said he likes "when it's a little more complicated," the vocabulary, that is.
- We read from the Jesus Storybook Bible, pages 170-207.
- Reading: Davin worked on completing his "Animal Tales" book, which is turning out to be quite cute :) He prints a sentence from the MFW workbook and then illustrates it. I just love his drawings!!
- Writing With Ease week 4, days 1-4.
- First Language Lessons 14-17.
- Math: Read these math library books about "Counting": *** = our favorites
- Stay in Line by Teddy Slater
- ***Ten Black Dots by Donald Crews
- How Many Snails? by Paul Giganti Jr.
- ***Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans
- Spunky Monkeys on Parade by Stuart J. Murphy
- Only One Neighborhood by Marc Harshman
- ***Two Ways to Count to Ten by Ruby Dee
- Missing Mittens by Stuart J. Murphy
- Arctic Fives Arrive by Elinor J. Pinczes
- Anno's Counting Book by Mitsumasa Anno
- Double the Ducks by Stuart J. Murphy
- Just Enough Carrots by Stuart J. Murphy
- ***How Many Feet in the Bed? by Diane Johnson
- For Singapore Math: Day 11-18 in lesson plan book. In the picture below, he is doing a color by addition problem worksheet.
- Science: This week's topic was "Trees", so we began by reading about trees in Things Outdoors and then Davin did the narration and illustration page below. Davin did a bark rubbing outside and spent time exploring World Book's Early World of Learning website, which has an excellent science section for kids! We also read:
- A Tree is a Plant by Clyde Robert Bulla
- ***I Wonder Why Trees Have Leaves by Andrew Charman and Davin learned some interesting facts: cinnamon is actually bark, pepper comes from berries, cotton is a plant, and carrots are roots!
- ***A Busy Year by Leo Lionni
- ***A Tree is Nice by Janice May Udry
- Be a Friend to Trees by Patricia Lauber
- ***A Log's Life by Wendy Pfeffer. Davin LOVED this one!
- Tell Me, Tree by Gail Gibbons
- We also read a few books on "Plants", last week's science topic, since I didn't want to miss out! We read:
- How a Seed Grows by Helene Jordan
- How Flowers Grow by Emma Helbrough
- Dandelions by Kathleen Kudlinski
- From Seed to Plant by Gail Gibbons. Davin did the illustration below by looking at a page from this book. Isn't it just beautiful??!! I was so impressed!
- History: We read Chapter 2, section one: "Two Kingdoms Become One" in Story of the World: Volume 1, did the review questions, narrations, map work (learned a lot about the geography of Egypt and the Nile River), and read these books:
- Croco'nile by Roy Gerrard. We loved this one!
- The Nile River by Mike Graf
- Poetry: worked on "The Yak".
- Hymn: "A Mighty Fortress is our God"
Davin also played with some of Dorian's Tot School trays:
Sweet baby sister!! She's always sticking out her tongue, looking so cute!
Hello! I am sooo adorable!
Okay, there was a big sale at Marie Madeline Studios, so I stocked up on some fabric!! Now, if I can just find time to sew and have my mom come give me some lessons :) I've not done too much sewing and would love to learn more and really could use her expertise!