This week we're going to take a break from our normal homeschool subjects so that we can focus on Thanksgiving!
We will read lots of books, do some activities, crafts, games, writing, science, sing some hymns, do a little bit of cooking, and have a lot of fun! A lot of theses ideas come from the Adventures in My Father's World teacher's guide.
Here's some books from our collection that we will read:
We participated in the virtual field trip to Plimoth Plantation last week on this website:
and also took a virtual tour of the Mayflower.
Some of the Crafts we'll do:
- Make woven placemats
- Make an Indian vest
- Make a hand turkey
- Make a hand and shoe turkey
For Science, we will use some of our squash for these activities:
- Will it float? experiment
- Predicting the weight by comparing it to pantry items with the weight on it, then weighing them.
- Predicting and measuring the distance around the middle of the squash.
- How many seeds? activity
Some of the hymns we will sing. I just love singing hymns!:
- We Gather Together
- Count Your Many Blessings
- Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow
- For the Beauty of the Earth
- Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing
For writing, we will write about everything we are thankful for, of course!
For Cooking, we will make some cornbread like the pilgrims made and make mini pumpkin pies with pumpkin pudding and mini graham cracker crusts.
Some Indian games we will play:
- Twig Toss
- Almond Toss
- Spearing Game (not as dangerous as it sounds!)
Also, Scripture Adventures has a FREE Thanksgiving guide with TONS of neat things to do! I'm planning to use it a lot this week, especially for the writing activities.
Just enter "moneysavingmom" at the checkout to get it for FREE!
It should be a very fun week!!!