Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Homemade Deodorant

You are thinking I've gone off the deep end here, but just hear me out!  This is the best deodorant ever, I'm not even joking!  Now that I've been using this for a few months, I can safely say I'm not rushing out to buy deodorant from the store again.

First of all, it's very inexpensive to make your own.  There's just 3 ingredients: coconut oil, corn starch, and baking soda.  The coconut oil does not have to be exra-virgin organic or anything special.  I found a large jar (32 oz) of coconut oil at WalMart and it was around $2.99 (don't quote me on that!)  So, if each batch needs 8 oz of oil, the deodorant cost comes to less than $1.00 altogether.  I've spent a lot of money on "all-natural" deodorants in the store, and none of them are that cheap!  Now, for my second batch I am going to use my Tropical Traditions coconut oil, but I've found the cheap stuff works fine :)

Another reason, it's better for you!  Now, I'm not sure if it's been proven or not, but there's been some concern over the aluminum and other chemicals in deodorants and a possible link to breast cancer.  I'd rather avoid the possible risk!

Lastly, it actually works.  I was skeptical at first, but I can tell you that it does the job well.  It is not an anti-perspirant, so it won't reduce sweating, but your body is supposed to sweat!  At least you won't stink.....:)

Homemade All-Natural Deodorant

from Passionate Homemaking

Ingredients:

6-8 Tbsp Coconut oil (solid state)
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup arrowroot powder or cornstarch (arrowroot is preferred)

Directions:

  1. Combine equal portions of baking soda & arrowroot powder.

  2. Slowly add coconut oil and work it in with a spoon or hand blender until it maintains a firm but pliable texture. It should be about the same texture as commercial deodorant, solid but able to be applied easily. If it is too wet, add further arrowroot powder/cornstarch to thicken.

  3. You can either scoop this recipe into your old deodorant dispensers or place in a small container with lid and apply with fingers with each use. Makes about 1 cup. This recipe lasts about 3 months for two people with regular daily use.



**You can also add a few drops of essential oil if you'd like it scented.  I added a few drops of tea tree oil to give it a fresh scent.**

I keep mine in a little 1-cup tupperware container and apply the deodorant with my fingers.  It feels like I'm just applying lotion to my underarms!  I also usually put it on after bathing and wait a few minutes before getting dressed so that it won't leave an oil mark on my clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment